How to make your flowers last longer.
So you’ve been lucky enough to receive a beautiful fresh bouquet of flowers.
Here are 5 simple top tips to make sure you get the most out of your flowers and enjoy them for as long as possible.
1) Remove all packaging. As beautiful as your bouquet may look all wrapped up and aqua packed it’s best to remove all the packaging and place the flowers in a vase. What you’ll find is you get to appreciate the flowers for what they are and there are usually some flowers hidden in the packaging that you wouldn’t get to see if you leave it on. DO NOT however cut the string that ties the bouquet together as this is how it’s been designed and put together.
2) Vase is Everything. Choose a suitable vase or container. It’s incredible how different the same bouquet can look depending what vase it’s placed in.
3) Bleach is key. Make sure to bleach out your vase to ensure no bacteria is left in the vessel before the flowers go in. Fill with clean tepid water.
4) Cut all the stems. Cut the stems initially with sharp pair of scissors or secateurs at an angle. This allows the flowers to drink as much as possible and revitalises them. You can if you really wanted to make your flowers last is cut the stems and change the water every 2 – 3 days.
5) Keep out of direct sunlight in a cool place. This is probably the most crucial as direct sunlight or too much light will speed up the growth of the flowers. I like to keep mine in a cool room or pull the blinds down at times when the sun is up.
And there you have it, 5 simple things that you may or may not already know to help make your flowers last longer.